[grisbi-devel] Grisbi on macOS via MacPorts

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Mon Mar 7 18:05:07 CET 2022

> On Mar 7, 2022, at 11:44 AM, Ludovic Rousseau <ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Le lun. 7 mars 2022 à 17:24, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at macports.org <mailto:ctreleaven at macports.org>> a écrit :
>
> If you use the Unix way, everything should be installed in the correct
> directories.
> But I am not sure to understand your problem.
>
> Why don't you use the (native) macOS version I provide in
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/grisbi/files/grisbi%20stable/2.0.x/2.0.5/Grisbi-2.0.5.dmg <https://sourceforge.net/projects/grisbi/files/grisbi%20stable/2.0.x/2.0.5/Grisbi-2.0.5.dmg>
> ?

Thanks for replying.

The resources (like Help files) _are_ installed but the program can’t find them.  That’s why I think I need a configure flag to tell the build that they are not going to be packaged in an application bundle.

As to “why”, MacPorts makes it easy to manage a bunch of open source software.  We package gnucash, ledger and many others.  Whenever any of the packages is updated—or any of the packages they depend on, which is hundreds for something like gtk—MacPorts provides easy tools to upgrade to the latest versions.  Many of our users come from a unix background so we provide something akin to apt-get or dport or whatever they may have used in another environment.

For someone with MacPorts installed, installing Grisbi should be as easy as:

sudo port install grisbi

Note that MacPorts supports both x86_64 and arm64 (the new M1 Macs) and Grisbi seems to build fine on OS versions as old as OSX 10.6 and as new as macOS 12.  MacPorts will deliver a version of Grisbi specific to the user’s architecture and OS version.

Craig