[grisbi-devel] Cross-compiling through Docker

Frédéric Trouche fred at linuxtribe.org
Wed Oct 30 19:03:59 CET 2019

On 10/30/19 1:42 PM, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> Le mar. 29 oct. 2019 à 21:15, Frédéric Trouche <fred at linuxtribe.org> a
> écrit :> Hi all,
>
> Hello Fred,
>
>> For information, I tried to integrate a Docker image to cross-compile Grisbi to Unbuntu 32 & 64-bit.
>>
>> Check https://github.com/xfred81/grisbi/tree/ubuntu-docker-builds if you're interested.
> You compile Grisbi but does not generate .deb packages. Right?
That's it. It's only about compilation, not packaging for now (yet
packaging could be addressed this way too).

> Why do you write "cross-compile"?
> You just compile Grisbi for Ubuntu on an Ubuntu system (in a kind of
> virtual machine called Docker). Am I missing something?

Indeed, "cross-compile" reflects a quite uncommon situation here, as,
you're right, no cross-compiler has been setup.

Yet, from the Docker's host point-of-view, the Docker's embedded GCC
here compiles to Ubuntu, using Ubuntu's native layout.

Also, thanks to QEMU (32 or 64-bit), we add another "abstraction" on
architecture: a 64-bit OpenSUSE can be used to build 32 & 64-bit
Ubuntu's binaries using *native* related compilers.

This is a kind of cross-compilation, my view.

To clarify it, following combination of QEMU/Docker could be set up,
with straighter relations with classical cross-compiling:

  * Embedding a ready-to-use GCC mingw32 cross-compiler on Docker image
    and use wine to package Grisbi through NSIS,
  * Using native ARM compiler through QEMU to build Linux ARM binaries,
  * Maybe, finally, targetting Darwin (not tested, but I tried previous
    examples on another project).

Former integrations of Ubuntu were just a kind of PoC, in fact.

Fred -