[grisbi-devel] Enhancing the reports CSV export

Cedric Bosdonnat cedric.bosdonnat.ooo at free.fr
Sat Nov 10 15:56:31 CET 2012

Hi all,

I'm a long time user of grisbi and LibreOffice developer. I had a quick
look at the reports CSV export code as I would like to make it really
easy to open in LibreOffice Calc and do some more computations on the
data.

I found several problems there, mostly due to the device-independent
output:
  * Writing the currency symbol with the value disturbs Calc to figure
out it's a value... I know we could also improve Calc here, but why not
making things easy on grisby side by allowing to have the currency as
another column (imagine someone wants to group on those ;))
  * There are empty lines between quite a lot of lines... this is mostly
due to the fat that we want an elegant output in the UI / HTML, but
doesn't help for CSV. IMHO, having each grouping element as a column (in
order of grouping) for each data line would be nice as it would help CSV
importers to use their grouping facilities. It would also ease computing
charts.
 * Income / Outcome difference, would look way better next to each
other, though it may add some complexity to the aggregation algorithm.

What do you think of this? Would you think it good to have two data
output-devices (at least some more configuration of a single one)? Would
it be OK to change the presentation of the data on the UI?

Thanks a lot for your help. I already have a local git build here and
tried tempering with the code. I don't have a lot of time to work on
that, but I'ld be happy to help.

Regards,

--
Cedric