[grisbi-devel] Getting LibOFX 0.9.4 in distributions

Benoit Grégoire benoitg at coeus.ca
Wed Apr 20 18:53:41 CEST 2011

Running libofx and Gnucash from source, I didn't realise that the
dirtributions were generally years out of date, so most users were having
numerous crashes still with OFX imports (brigning down the entire client
application, not just libofx), as well as international caracter issues.
Furthermore, distribution-specific patches for which fixes were sometimes
integrated upstream years ago were sarting to accumulate.

Luckily, Christian moved us to Git (Thanks!), brigning Libofx closer to my
usual workflow and tooling.  Furthermore a recent laptop upgrade caused me to
to use stock package and see first hand how disastrous the situation actually
was on Ubuntu, I tried to spend some time sorting out the distro situation.

This was the focus of 0.9.4 release.  Here's where we stand now:

Ubuntu:
- At least now the info on https://launchpad.net/libofx is accurate
- I created a ppa that always has the latest snapshot directly from git, for
Natty and Maverick: https://launchpad.net/~benoitg/+archive/ppa
- Natty:  I fixed up the packaging (no lint warnings), and sent a merge request
for this branch
https://code.launchpad.net/~benoitg/ubuntu/natty/libofx/libofx.new-upstream-
fix-661809-629996 .  However, this close to Natty's release, and without Debian
up to date, I'm not sure how much of a chance it has to get merged.  Then-
again with the Ubuntu patch for https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-jp-
improvement/+bug/629996 causing a serious regression you never know.

Fedora 15:
- Already in testing (thanks Bill!):
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libofx

MacOSX:
- The maintainer requested changes (Environment variable to define DTD path) to
make his life easier, which were implemented.  This may also help on Windows.

Debian:
- As far as I know, all their patches are upstream or obsolete
- I'm completely unfamiliar with the process to get an update in (and using
their bug tracker in general), but I dit request it at the end of:

For everyone's general information:
-I DO still read libofx-devel regularly
-I DO read the bug tracker at
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=61170&atid=496353 and review every
patch (if with a pretty long lag time)
-To summarize, I do not actively develop the package, and I am not very
responsive (this is unlikely to change anytime soon).  But if anyone wants to
develop (this should be much easier now with git), your patches will NOT fall
into a black hole.

Thanks for everyone who helped recently!
--
Benoit Grégoire, ing., PMP, PSM