[grisbi-devel] Lots of changes in master

Rémi Cardona remi2402 at free.fr
Mon Jun 21 08:59:39 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

Just a quick heads up, I've finally pushed my big "build-rewrite" branch
to master. Here's an executive summary of what's changed :

 - modern use of Autotools, especially Autoconf macros
 - pkg-config is used to find external libraries (except CUnit)
 - each plugin can be enabled/disabled using ./configure options
 - use of intltool to manage translations (see below)
 - better use of libtool
 - use of glib helper functions
 - overhaul of tips dialog
 - "make distcheck" now works

Overall, there are very few code changes outside the tips changes.

The biggest change is the use of intltool to replace manual use of
gettext. Translators should now use the following procedure when
updating their po file.

 $ cd po/
 $ intltool-update {fr,de,es,zh,...}

Intltool being a wrapper around gettext, the translation files are still
the exact same format.

The second biggest change is the removal of -Wall from src/Makefile.am.
If you want to build with warning messages, I suggest you do the following:

 $ ./autogen.sh
 $ CFLAGS="-Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter" ./configure
 $ make && make install

This will yield even more warnings than before, and will reach plugins'
code.

Please do test master. I've been using this code for more than a month
now, but testing is very much welcome.

Please don't hesitate to comment if you have any issues or questions
about these changes.

Cheers,

Rémi