[grisbi-bugs] *** SPAM ALERT *** the peerag

Kijowski sophistical at debestezet.nl
Sun Dec 6 12:12:55 CET 2009

Necessities. "For myself, I found that I was fitted for nothing so well
as for the study of Truth; as having a mind nimble and versatile enough
to catch the resemblances of things (which is the chief point), and at
the same time steady enough to fix and distinguish their subtler
differences; as being gifted by nature with desire to seek, patience to
doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to
reconsider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and as being a man
that neither affects what is new nor admires what is old, and that hates
every kind of imposture. So I thought my nature had a kind of
familiarity and relationship with Truth. "Nevertheless, because my birth
and education had seasoned me in business of State; and because opinions
(so young as I was) would sometimes stagger me; and because I thought
that a man's own country has some special claims upon him more than the
rest of the world; and because I hoped that, if I rose to any place of
honour in the State, I should have a larger command of industry and
ability to help me in my work--for these reasons I both applied myself
to acquire the arts of civil life, and commended my service, so far as
in modesty and honesty I might, to the favour of such friends as had any
influence. In which also I had another motive: for I felt that those
things I have spoken of--be they great or small--reach no further than
the condition and culture of this mortal life; and I was not without
hope (the condition of religion being at that time not very prosperous)
that if I came to hold office in the State, I might get something done
too for the good of men's souls. When I found, however, that my zeal was
mistaken for ambition, and my life had already readied the
turning-point, and my breaking health reminded me how ill I could afford
to be so slow, and I reflected, moreover, that in leaving undone the
good that I could do by myself alone, and applying myself to that which
could not be done without the help and consent of others, I was by no
means discharging the duty that lay upon me--I put all those thoughts
aside, and (in pursuance of my old determination) betook myself wholly